I have been working on Vineyards 16 on and off for the last couple of weeks. Challenges began with my first attempt with this piece. The yellow fabrics that I had originally selected for this work looked great in the pile. However, once I had a few sections sewn together I could see that it was not visually going where I had hoped.
I realized that value changes in the background are not successful. The pallete needs to be fairly saturated or a consistent value. Value change is necessary in the narrow lines and or stakes for the art to work. Even though I had put in some time with the initial start, I didn't feel bad abandoning the piece and starting over. I was able to identify what was not working and began again. Here is what I have completed so far:
With this piece, I have introduced what I am calling, negative spaces, and my hope is that when it is complete, the eye, or viewer will be able to travel comfortably around the composition. This is one of those pieces that I won't know I am done until I am done.
The length is measuring around 36" so far and my gut is telling me that this piece may want to be a square, 36". I am working out from each side right now so what you see is a good chunk of the middle. The other aspect that I think will totally change this piece is the surface stitching that I plan to do in a lemon yellow thread as the final step.
I am not in a hurry at this point but I would like to maintain some consistency in my progress. As with all work in a series, I already have my next work, Vineyards 17, planned in my head and it will be born from things I have discovered with this piece.
Well that is the latest goings on here in my studio, just wanted to pop in and show what is in progress. Hope everyone is enjoying their holiday weekend!
Share My Work!