Working on a new idea these last couple of weeks has given me insight and clarity on just what my series is and perhaps what it is not. The two previous pieces, Vineyards 16 and 17, were not producing the visual graphics that I was looking for. Putting a hold on this direction allowed me to pursue some ideas that I had been contemplating for awhile now.
I knew that if these ideas had possibility, then my series would go to new territory and change the look dramatically. Knowing this, I had to see if it would bring me the results that I have been looking for.
My goal was to change the scale of the vertical lines throughout the piece as well as play with color and pattern within the figure and ground aspects in the composition. After a few days of stop and start, I got my rhythm, and the piece started to come together.
The entire piece is constructed from paper pieced units. Working in this method allowed me to lay color down exactly where I wanted it as well as giving me really flat seams. There was also a lot of “deconstruction” while sewing the units together. In short, that translates to putting a puzzle together with irregular shapes. I decided to go ahead and finish this piece completely with surface stitching and facings. Seeing this piece completed was important to me so I pressed on. In fact this morning, I sewed the sleeves and label on to the back. This piece measures 33”x44”.
I am really pleased with this new work on a variety of levels. The learning curve was steep throughout this piece; taking that knowledge forward will be fun as I feel like I worked through several design and construction challenges. Speaking of going forward, I have decided on the new name for my series. The name that I kept coming back to on my list of possibilities was “Crush”. I think the name speaks to what the ultimate goal is with every vineyard; the final Crush at the end of the season.
Will everyone understand and connect with this series as well as the name? Probably not. But one thing I have learned over the last several months is that when I create something that resonates with me on a gut level it is pure joy. I create for me first, not what I think others will like or want to see, and if there is an audience that does like it or appreciates some aspect then that is a bonus, and frosting on the cake.
Renaming my series as well as sending it off into an entirely different direction prompted me to change the numerical assignment for my series. I have created 16 pieces up to this point to get where I am today. Though there are a few pieces in the original body that I can identify aspects that I like, none of them really held my interest like this piece does. So without further ado, here is Crush 1.... the first in the series.
Next up is to continue in this direction creating Crush 2 with a new color palette and design. I have some ideas and look forward to starting the next piece in this series the first of August. Hope everyone's summer is going well taking things a little easier and time to enjoy summer fun!
Share My Work!